Announcements / Press Releases
Malaria exhibition opens in Abu Dhabi [RBM] (English)
Malaria: blood, sweat, and tears, a photo exhibition that tells the human story behind the global malaria fight, has opened at the Emirates Palace in Abu Dhabi. Officially inaugurated by H.E. Sheikha Lubna Bint Khalid Al Qasimi, United Arab Emirates Minister of International Cooperation & Development, and H.R.H. Princess Astrid of Belgium, Special Representative of the Roll Back Malaria Partnership, the exhibition has already attracted much public interest. The opening ceremony included remarks from Professor Jeffrey Sachs, United Nations Secretary-General's Special Adviser on the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), and Dr Fatoumata Nafo-Traoré, Executive Director of RBM. Developed by renowned photographer Adam Nadel and produced under the patronage of the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, the exhibit explores malaria's history, the people affected by the disease and the science behind todayâ€™s control efforts. The exhibition will remain open to the public daily through 18 May....
Round Table on Private Companies and malaria in the DRC [RBM] (English)
Under the impressive chairmanship of Minister of State of Belgium Herman De Croo a Round Table in Brussels gathered 20 private companies operating in the DRC for a discussion with the RBM Executive Director Dr Fatoumata Nafo-Traoré, the Minister of health of the DRC Dr Felix Numbi, the Belgian Minister of development cooperation Jean-Pascal Labille and a dozen public health experts on the role of public-private partnership in the fight against malaria and for health care delivery...
RBM and partners urge more investment in health and malaria [RBM] (English)
At a World Malaria Day working lunch at the Geneva United Nations’ headquarters, the Roll Back Malaria Partnership (RBM) urged ambassadors of malaria-endemic and donor governments and diplomats to lobby for increased health investments and more political support for the global malaria control effort and national malaria programmes. Speakers included Permanent representatives to the UN of both donor countries and endemic countries from different regions. A wide range of technical questions were addressed by partners from WHO, the Global Fund, the UK Department for International Development...
Africa Health Innivation Meeting [Friends Africa, the RBM Partnership, UNITAID and the Global Fund] (English)
On the occasion of the World Economic Forum, Africa; Friends Africa, the RBM Partnership, UNITAID and the Global Fund, convening global leaders and technical experts on Wednesday, May 7th, 2014 from 9am-1pm, will critically examine institutional challenges faced by Africa's healthcare system and highlight how sustainable growth and development can be achieved...
UNICEF and Global Fund coordinate efforts to reach mothers, newborns and children [UNICEF press release] (English)
UNICEF and the Global Fund today reinforced their long-standing partnership through a new agreement to better coordinate efforts aimed at reducing the burden of HIV, tuberculosis and malaria and improving the health of mothers, newborns, and children...
Emergence and spread of artemisinin resistance calls for intensified efforts to withdraw oral artemisinin-based monotherapy from the market [WHO/GMP] (English)
One of the key triggers behind emerging artemisinin resistance is the continued use of oral artemisinin-based monotherapies. WHO urges malaria-endemic countries to withdraw oral monotherapies from markets and to expand access to combination therapies, known as ACTs. A new policy brief presents the latest assessment on country progress and provides a summary of WHO’s recommendations to ministries of health and pharmaceutical regulators...
MPAC Survey on stakeholder perceptions [WHO/GMP] (English)
The WHO Global Malaria Programme and the MPAC are seeking input from Member States and the global malaria community on their perceptions of the MPAC...
MMV launches the Seasonal Malaria Chemoprevention Tool Kit [MMV] (English)
Tool Kit will help plan, implement and monitor WHO-recommended life-saving intervention for children...
GSK and MMV announce start of Phase III programme of tafenoquine [MMV and GSK] (English)
An investigational medicine being developed for the treatment and relapse prevention of P. vivax...
Malaria Atlas Project: Postdoctoral Statistical Epidemiologist [MAP, Department of Zoology, University of Oxford] (English)
Application deadline: 21.05.2014...
Malaria Atlas Project: Research Assistant [MAP, Department of Zoology, University of Oxford] (English)
Application deadline: 21.05.2014...
Malaria Atlas Project: Senior Postdoctoral Modeller [MAP, Department of Zoology, University of Oxford] (English)
Application deadline: 21.05.2014...
Malaria Atlas Project: Senior Computational Statistician: Spatial Models [MAP, Department of Zoology, University of Oxford] (English)
Application deadline: 28.05.2014...
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation: Senior Program Officer, Program Advocacy, Malaria Job [Gates Foundation] (English)
Requisition Number 4763BR...
World Malaria Day 2014: What were the main social media lessons? [RBM via Inis Communication] (English)
The Roll Back Malaria Partnership and Inis Communication invite you to an online discussion on the impact of social media around World Malaria Day 2014. Join Hope Randall (PATH), Corine Karema (National Malaria Control Program, Rwanda), Boriana Savova (Roll Back Malaria Partnership) and Tim France (Inis Communication) to discuss what worked best and lessons learned for future malaria advocacy.
Join us on Wednesday May 7 at the following times: PST (Seattle/SF): 8:00 am
EST (Washington DC/Boston/NY): 11:00am
CET (Johannesburg/Geneva/Paris): 17:00pm
SE Asia (Bangkok/Hanoi): 22.00pm...
World Malaria Day 2014
Visit RBM World Malaria Day site
Read Financial Times Special Report on Combating Malaria 2014
Supplement by Media Planet distributed within The Independent
LesEchos.fr: Malaria : pourquoi les industriels doivent encore investir
LesEchos.fr: Fatoumata Nafo-Traoré : "Malaria : notre objectif pour 2015 reste de ramener à zéro le nombre de décès"
RFI Priorité santé : Entretien avec Dr Fatoumata Nafo-Traoré : "L'implication des entreprises dans la lutte contre le paludisme "
RFI Economie : Entretien avec Dr Fatoumata Nafo-Traoré : Le paludisme, un fléau pour l'économie africaine
Le point: Paludisme : pourquoi il ne faut pas réduire les investissements
Le point Afrique: Pourquoi le paludisme coûte cher à l'Afrique
TV5 Le Journal Afrique:
Journée mondiale de lutte contre le paludisme: Entretien avec Dr Eric Mouzin
The Hindu: Engaging the private sector in the global war against malaria
RBM Partners Commemorate World Malaria Day 2014
- RBM Partnership: calls for new funding and greater coordination in endemic countries to stop Malaria related deaths
Le Partenariat Roll Back Malaria: lance un appel pour de nouveaux financements et le développement d'une approche collaborative et coordonnée dans les pays afin de mettre un terme aux décès dus au paludisme
- Opinion by RBM Partnership Executive Director Dr Nafo-Traoré: Managing malaria in changing times
- ACSH: World Malaria Day: April 25, 2014
- ACTconsortium: Interactive training halves malaria overdiagnosis and prevents wastage of drugs
- ACTmalaria: World Malaria Day: April 25, 2014
- African Union: World Malaria Day: “Invest in the future. Defeat malaria”
- Africare: Invest in Africans. Defeat Malaria
- AIRS: Building Capacity to Fight Malaria
- American Forces Press Service: Military Research Continues Fight Against Malaria
- Amref Health Africa: Calls for Increased Investment to Consolidate Gains in Malaria Control
- APMEN: World Malaria Day 2014: Invest in the Future, Defeat Malaria
- ASHTM: Statement on World Malaria Day 2014
- A World at School: World Malaria Day 2014: Education is key to saving millions of lives
- Bayer: Raise Awareness on Vector-Borne Diseases on World Malaria Day 2014
- BestNet: World Malaria Day, 25 April 2014 - Photo Contest
- BioMedCentral: Malaria – the big push towards eliminating a killer
- bioMérieux: World Malaria Day 2014
- CDC: World Malaria Day — April 25, 2014
- CDC: and Partners Turn the Tide against Malaria
- Center for Disease Dynamics, Economics & Policy: World Malaria Day 2014
- DCP3: World Malaria Day 2014
- The Commonwealth Pharmacists Association: World Malaria Day – 25th April 2014
- DSW: World Malaria Day 2014 – The time for accelerating investment is now
- EDCTP: World Malaria Day 2014: ‘Invest in the Future. Defeat Malaria’
- EIL: WORLD MALARIA DAY - 25 APRIL 2014
- ELIZABETH GLASER PEDIATRIC AIDS FOUNDATION: World Malaria Day 2014
- Episcopal Relief & Development: World Malaria Day 2014: A Face of Courage and Hope
- European Vaccine Initiative: World Malaria Day 2014: New vaccine candidates against malaria enter clinical development
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: World Malaria Day 2014
- ExxonMobil: Commemorating World Malaria Day 2014
- Fight The Fake: Keep fake medicines from undermining progress made in malaria control!
- Friends of the Global Fund, Japan (FGFJ): 2014 World Malaria Day Event—"POWER OF ONE"
- GEMS: World Malaria Day, 25 April 2014s
- GHC: World Malaria Day
- GHD: Recognizing World Malaria Day: April 25
- Global Dimention: 25 April every year: Raising awareness of malaria as a curable and preventable disease
- The Global Fund: Partners Press for Accelerated Progress against Malaria
- The Global Fund: World Malaria Day 2014
- The Global Fund, UNICEF, The Government of Chad: Net Campaign Targets Universal Coverage in Chad
- Haffkine Institute: World Malaria Day 2014
- Harvard University: World Malaria Day 2014
- Health Policy and Planning: World Malaria Day 2014
- IAMP: World Malaria Day, 25 April 2014
- IFRC: Communities and the Red Cross joining forces to defeat malaria in Kenya
- IFRC: World Malaria Day: using technology to save lives
- Insedm: 25 APRIL 2014 – WORLD MALARIA DAY
- International Organization for Migration: A Future Without Malaria: Healthy Migrants in Malaria-Free Communities
- JHMRI, Jhpiego and Center for Communication Programs: 2014 World Malaria Day
- JHPIEGO: On the Front Lines of the Battle Against Malaria, MCHIP and Community Health Workers Transform Tragedy into Triumph
- KFF: Highlighting World Malaria Day
- LSHTM: Featured Malaria Publication - PLOS ONE
- LSTM: World Malaria Day 2014: Insecticide Quantification Kit
- MACEPA (MakingMalariaHistory): How can we defeat malaria?
- Malaria.com: World Malaria Day 2014
- Malaria Consortium: World Malaria Day 2014: Lessons from the past - can malaria ever be eradicated?
- Malaria Journal Club: WORLD MALARIA DAY 2014
- Malaria No More (UK): World Malaria Day 2014
- Maklaria No More (US): A SWEET WAY TO HONOR WORLD MALARIA DAY
- Malaria World: This week it's World Malaria Day: Read the Jerusalem Declaration on Sustainable Malaria Elimination in Africa
- MedIndia network: World Malaria Day 2014: Fight Back Against Malaria, Protect Your Future
- MMV: World malaria Day 2014
- MNYS: World Malaria Day 2014
- MSF: "Not a Miracle Cure," But Seasonal Malaria Chemoprevention Having Strong Impact in Niger
- MSH: World Malaria Day 2014: Ajak's Story
- MVI PATH: World Malaria Day 2014: Invest in the future: Defeat malaria
- MVVC (Malaria Vectored Vaccines Consortium): World malaria Day - Placental Malaria
- MW: This week it's World Malaria Day: Read the Jerusalem Declaration on Sustainable Malaria Elimination in Africa
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases: World Malaria Day April 25, 2014
- NETSFORLIFE® ENCOURAGES COMMUNITIES, STAKEHOLDERS TO ‘INVEST IN THE FUTURE. DEFEAT MALARIA’
- Nigeria NMCP: World Malaria Day 2014Invest in the Future: Defeat Malaria - Are You Ready for World Malaria Day 2014?
- Nothing But Nets and Major League Soccer Team Up to Beat Malaria
- Novartis and Malaria No More provide two million antimalarial treatments to children in Zambia
- NYAS: Malaria 2014: Advances in Pathophysiology, Biology and Drug Development
- Oil Search Health Foundation: World Malaria Day 2014: Invest in the Future. Defeat Malaria
- ONE: World Malaria Day: We can achieve a world free of malaria
- ONE MILLION COMMUNITY HEALTH WORKERS: HAPPY WORLD MALARIA DAY 2014!
- Oxford University (NDM): World malaria day 2014
- PATH marks World Malaria Day 2014
- PLAN: 25 avril - Journée mondiale contre le paludisme
- PMI: World Malaria Day – 2014
- PSI: 2014 WORLD MALARIA DAY
- PureTravel: Get Involved with World Malaria Day
- Red Cross Canada: World Malaria Day: 3.3 Billion Still at Risk
- Results for Development: World Malaria Day 2014
- Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) and RBM: Intergrating Malaria into Sustainable Development Goals
- SFH Investing in the Future, Defeating Malaria
- SIM: World Malaria Day 2014
- THL: World Malaria Day 2014: Vector-borne Disease on the Global Health Agenda
- Thomson Reuters: World Malaria Day: The Weak Links in the Malaria Cycle
- The Tony Blair Faith Foundation: World Malaria Day 2014: Two Million People Reached In Sierra Leone
- UMC: World Malaria Day - April 25, 2014
- UNDP: World Malaria Day 2014
- UNITAID: WORLD MALARIA DAY 2014: CAN WE TEST IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR?
- University of Pennsylvania: World Malaria Day 2014: Invest in the future. Defeat malaria
- University of Quinsland: Malaria-free Asia Pacific one step closer
- UN News Centre: On World Malaria Day, UN officials push for near zero preventable deaths
- UN Secretary-General's message on World Malaria Day
- UN Special Envoy Ray Chambers' official remarks on our progress and challenge ahead in the malaria fight
- U.S. AFRICOM: World Malaria Day observed at AFRICOM
- USAID Deliver Project: World Malaria Day 2014
- Vestergaard: Online mapping system helps fight malaria by tracking mosquito resistance to insecticides used to prevent malaria
- VoA editorial: World Malaria Day 2014
- WEEMA: Malaria Day 2014: Updates!
- WEF: What African governments can do to fight malaria
- WellcomeTrust: Image of the Week: World Malaria Day 2014
- WHO: World Malaria Day, 25 April 2014
- WHO (note for media): World Malaria Day 2014: WHO helps countries assess feasibility of eliminating malaria
- WHO AFRO: World Malaria Day 2014
- WHO AFRO: Message of the Regional Director, Dr Luis G. Sambo, on the occasion of World Malaria Day 2014
- WHO AMRO (PAHO): "Malaria Champions of the Americas" seeks best practices on integrated efforts against vector-borne disease
- WHO EURO: Malaria: great progress towards elimination, but persistent threat of imported cases and reintroduction
- WHO SEARO: World Malaria Day, 2014 “Invest in the future: Defeat malaria”
- WHO WPRO: Statement by Dr Shin Young-soo WHO Regional Director for the Western Pacific for World Malaria Day
- The World Bank: How a Water Project is helping Fight Malaria in the Senegal River Basin
- World Gold Council: Gold For Health - Ghana Spotlight
Google World Malaria Day Coverage [Google] (English)
7 Facts You Need to Know About World Malaria Day and more...
Articles requiring subscription or registration
Innate immune response to the liver stage of malaria [Nature Reviews Immunology 14, 286 (2014) doi:10.1038/nri3677] (English)
After a mosquito bite, the sporozoite forms of Plasmodium spp. — the causative agents of malaria — enter the bloodstream and are transported to the liver where they replicate inside hepatocytes. Blood-stage Plasmodium infection has been shown to induce innate immune responses...
The malaria parasite egress protease SUB1 is a calcium-dependent redox switch subtilisin [Nature Communications 5, Article number: 3726 doi:10.1038/ncomms4726] (English)
Here we report the first crystallographic structure of Plasmodium falciparum SUB1 at 2.25 Å, in complex with its cognate prodomain...
Performance of the CareStart Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase (G6PD) Rapid Diagnostic Test in Gressier, Haiti [Am J Trop Med Hyg 2014 14-0100] (English)
This study screened 456 participants in Gressier, Haiti using the Access Bio CareStart qualitative G6PD rapid detection test compared with the laboratory-based Trinity Biotech quantitative spectrophotometric assay...
Malaria: a molecular marker of artemisinin resistance [The Lancet, Volume 383, Issue 9927, Pages 1439 - 1440, 26 April 2014] (English)
Global malaria morbidity and mortality are falling. 1 Elimination of malaria is back on the table. Things are looking good—or are they? The two main developments that have achieved these advances—insecticides to repel or kill mosquitoes, and drugs to prevent and treat malaria—are both falling to resistance. Artemisinin, the cornerstone of antimalarial therapeutics, is the latest casualty...
Abdisalan Noor: mapping malaria [The Lancet, Volume 383, Issue 9926] (English)
Mapping is all a matter of perspective and scale. The earliest known maps were of the stars, but gaze up at the heavens now and the chances are you will catch sight of a satellite looking back down at you. This radical change in our ability to view the world has revolutionised much of life, and from his base at the KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme in Nairobi, Kenya, Abdisalan Noor is determined that it will revolutionise the way malaria is tackled in Africa...
Mitochondrial PCR-based malaria detection in saliva and urine of symptomatic patients [Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg (2014) doi: 10.1093/trstmh/tru061] (English)
The mitochondrial cytochrome b gene of Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivax was targeted in saliva, urine and blood samples using nested PCR...
The Effect of Mass Media Campaign on the Use of Insecticide-Treated Bed Nets among Pregnant Women in Nigeria [PMC] (English)
Behavior change communication messages that are aimed at promoting net use and antenatal attendance are necessary in combating malaria...
Development of artemether and lumefantrine co-loaded nanostructured lipid carriers: physicochemical characterization and in vivo antimalarial activity [Informa] (English)
Objective: To fabricate artemether and lumefantrine co-loaded injectable nanostructured lipid carriers (NLCs) formulation...
In Vitro Resistance Selections for Plasmodium falciparum Dihydroorotate Dehydrogenase Inhibitors give Mutants with Multiple Point Mutations in the Drug-Binding Site and Altered Growth [jbc.M114.558353] (English)
We focused on in-development dihydroorotate dehydrogenase (DHODH) inhibitors...
Performance of a new gelled nested PCR test for the diagnosis of imported malaria: comparison with microscopy, rapid diagnostic test, and real-time PCR [Parasitology Research] (English)
We evaluated a new nested PCR-based assay, BIOMALAR kit (Biotools B&M Labs, Madrid, Spain) which employs ready-to-use gelled reagents and allows the identification of the main four species of Plasmodium...
The crystal structure of the active domain of Anopheles anti-platelet protein, a powerful anti-coagulant, in complex with an antibody [jbc.M114.564526.] (English)
We have studied an Anopheles anti-platelet protein (AAPP) from a malaria vector mosquito, and report its crystal structure in complex with an antibody...
Coffee Rings as Low-Resource Diagnostics: Detection of the Malaria Biomarker Plasmodium falciparum Histidine-Rich Protein-II Using a Surface-Coupled Ring of Ni(II)NTA Gold-Plated Polystyrene Particles [ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, Article ASAP DOI: 10.1021/am501452k] (English)
We report a novel, low-resource malaria diagnostic platform inspired by the coffee ring phenomenon, selective for Plasmodium falciparum histidine-rich protein-II (PfHRP-II), a biomarker indicative of the P. falciparum parasite strain. In this diagnostic design, a recombinant HRP-II (rcHRP-II) biomarker is sandwiched between 1 μm Ni(II)nitrilotriacetic acid (NTA) gold-plated polystyrene microspheres (AuPS) and Ni(II)NTA-functionalized glass...